You Get: 1 Miniature Besom | Ritual Broom
- Mesquite handle. Each branch, and therefore each besom, is unique.
- Hemp cord hanger.
- Each piece of grass is measure and cut by hand, then secured with fine copper wire and wrapped in hemp.
- The handle is protected with clear non-toxic sealer.
- For decorative purposes, not intended for actual sweeping use.
6.25″ (not including hanging cord) L x 0.75″ W
- Brown: blessing, animal/pet magic, earth magic, concentration, stability, locating lost objects, construction, food, finances
- Mesquite: healing, love, dreams, purification
I’m glad I finally got around to making these besoms, because I really love the way that they came out. I’ll admit though, that they almost didn’t happen.
After the collection trip that resulted in having mesquite seeds and mesquite thorns listed in the shop, I had a fair handful of branches sitting in the back of my shed. My original plan was to turn them into wands, but honestly, I’m not really big on the wand thing, so I kept putting it off. At some point, I got the idea to make mini besoms. I loved the idea, but there were still hurdles to overcome.
I tried a variety of materials before I settled on bluegrass for the bristles. Harvesting the grass was a pain, but luckily it grows all over the edges of our lawn, so it was plentiful. Then there was cutting it. For the longest time I couldn’t think of any way other than measuring and cutting each and every bristle individually. The project got shelved for quite a while before I figured out that I could bundle, measure, and cut them into a drinking glass to keep the pieces from flying all over the room.
The next challenge was keeping the bristles together. I tried looking up broom making techniques, but they just wouldn’t work for something so small with grass so stiff. It took a few tries and failures and huffing and cursing and almost crying before I came up with the combination of gluing and wire wrapping to secure everything.
It was a lot of work, but I am so happy with the final product. These are so cute, and I know that people are going to love them. I’ve actually been really tempted to keep one for myself!