Enjoy my writing and art? Want to see more? Support my work on Patreon!
It is dangerous to throw rice at weddings, so this article will teach you how to make animal-friendly sachets for your wedding.
What You’ll Need:
Fine mesh fabric
other decorative items
1. Pick an outdoor bird food that consists mainly or exclusively of millet. Millet is a small, round, light-colored seed. Avoid foods that contain large seeds like sunflower.
2. Make sure your fabric, ribbon and decorative items match the colors of the wedding.
3. Cut your mesh into 5″-6″ squares. You can either use sharp scissors for straight lines, or use a pair of specialized shears to get a decorative edge.
4. Place the mesh into a ramekin or other small dish. This will allow you to fill the sachet without it spilling all over. Add about 1 heaping tablespoon of seed to each piece of fabric.
5. Gather the fabric up around the seeds, and secure with the ribbon. Use a simple bow, so they are easy to undo later.
6. If you like, you can add other decorative items like charms, flowers or other items, which will not only make them more attractive, but provide each guest with a souvenir.
7. Make one sachet for each guest. When the bride exits, the seed will be thrown in place of the traditional rice.
Rice is a bad idea, even though it is tradition, because small animals will eat the rice and it will swell inside them causing death. Seed is a creature-friendly alternative that you can feel good about. If you can’t find seed, you may choose to use a rice cereal. Since it is already processed, it will not expand when an animal eats it, and is fully biodegradable.