|This site is completely ad-free. Please Support us by making a donation.|
This is the second article in this series, and contains more tips on how you can help the environment and save yourself money at the same time.
- Keep your freezer full. Your unit will run more efficiently and use less electricity if it is full. If you don’t have enough food to keep it full, try filling bottles with water and placing them in the fridge and freezer.
- Use rechargeable batteries. They are more expensive initially than regular batteries, but they can be reused many times, which saves money, and keeps the toxic substances out of landfills.
- Use fewer disposable items. Buy items that can be reused, rather than disposable items that will end up in the landfill. Reusable items typically save a great deal of money over time as well.
- Cancel your newspaper subscription. If you have television or a computer, you can access your news without killing trees, and many major news services are free.
- Use sprinklers sparingly. Water lawns early in the morning or at night to make the best use of the water. Turn off the sprinklers on rainy days, or get timers that will not go off when it is raining.
- Store your food in tight sealing containers to prevent spoilage and waste. You’ll save both money and resources.
- Buy locally. You can save a lot of money buying at local farmers markets, and it’s better for the environment than importing goods. Beware of “organic” products though, as they tend to be overpriced, and not as eco-friendly as you may think.
- When you replace your appliances, buy energy efficient models rather than old used ones. They will be better for the environment, and save money over time.
- Donate computers and cars to charity. You can get a tax write-off, and the items will be restored and given to people in need, rather than ending up in dumps polluting the environment.
- Recycle electronics. Many phone service providers will recycle your old cell phones. There are also sites which will allow you to recycle phones, MP3 players, video games and game consoles for points that can be redeemed for new items. It helps the environment, and allows you to earn new products.